Thursday, June 17, 2010

Artistic Inspiration

Photorealism


This morning I was browsing the web when I cam across an artist, who's works were, in my opinion, were not only powerful but extremely beautiful as well. His name is Darrell Hunt, he started painting photorealistic paintings in 1995 and still continues to bless the artistic community with his work to this day. In 2004 several of his pieces was selected to be put in the London art fair, which not only is an amazing achievement but a good opportunity for him to be represented in the United Kingdom. As an African American artist, he feels as though his art can be used to connect everyone one together, no matter their ethnicity.


One of my favorite pieces by him is "Chinatown". This painting is of a city street in Chinatown. I really like this piece because of its composition and outstanding realistic components. The composition of this painting is simplistic yet attractive because the elements on the canvas are layed out in such a way, that it looks as though you are standing upon that very street.

Essentially I found this artist extremely inspiring because of his ability to capture the essence and feel of a landscape on a canvas as if it were an actual photograph. Which I feel is not only an amazing artistic technique to acquire but a beautiful skill to have as a human being as well.