Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Bambi Remake Trailer Reflection

The piece above (coming soon) is a modified Bambi trailer which I edited with the program imovie. The objective of transforming this trailer was to recreate the mood and the overall feel of the trailer by manipulating and changing the its initial sound. I decided to change Bambi, a sweet hearty tale about perseverance and love, into an extremely intense adrenaline pumping action thriller, filled with excitement of epic proportions.
The first thing I did was extract the audio, in order to have complete control over all the sound, which I needed in order to ensure only purposeful sounds were in the final piece. After extracting the sound, I then proceeded into editing the trailer into various segments, removing any scene that didn't support the new theme of intensity. Once all the video suited what I had in mind for the transformation, I then added the main music that would be playing throughout the entire trailer. Seeing how I was trying to change this trailer into an intense epic one, I decided to use the song "Intense Music" which I downloaded from Youtube.com. After adjusting the sound in garageband I then exported the mp3 into imovie. After having my initial background music, I went to work on putting in various sound effects and noises to add a sense of intensity and seriousness. There are certain points in the trailer were I've put in certain sounds that would normally sound right in that situation but given the background music it was purposeful and effective. One of the main places I did this, is the scene where Bambi and Baline are walking toward each other, when an opposing male enters, challenging Bambi. It was at the point that the challenging deer entered that i introduced a thunder clapping sound, to add intensity and to set mood. When both dears later got into a head butting battle with their antlers, for each impact I added a thunder clapping sound, to strengthen the mood that was set as well as to dramatize the situation. I also added various background sounds ie: dogs barking, fire crackling, explosions, water splashing ect... to not only intensify the scene but to add a feeling of concern due to the multiple destructive things that were occurring. This i feel truly made my trailer a finished piece.
However, other then sound manipulation, to make this trailer look finished and consistent with the mood I was trying to convey, I added various video effects and transitions, to strengthen the mood. For example, there is a section where the screen turns black and white and their is a still frame of the three main characters faces. I did this because this is when the background music became more intense and that effect with the combination of the music, I feel, supported the mood I was trying to display effectively. I also added various "fade ins" and "outs" in certain places to help keep the mood and emotion constant.
If i was able to start the project over, I would have worked harder to find a better video quality trailer because working with an average or low even video quality trailer was difficult, only because certain effects needed to be adjusted in order for it to still look professional. While I was creating the trailer however I came across many challenges. I was unable find the right sound effects that would add purpose and meaning for an extend period of time, and I had to experiment with a lot of different sounds in order to find the best one to use. I also found it challenging to keep the music in sync with certain times of the trailer while still trying to edit, only because once a clip of the trailer is edited the time frame shifts ever so slightly which could have drastically effected the mood, if the timing wasn't complementary to the music. Overall I enjoyed this project and I consider it a success, hope you enjoy.