Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chair design

For this assignment we were required to design a chair that was functional, looked like a piece of art and exuded our personality. By doing this I feel as though I have designed the ultimate chair, hence the name "ULTRACHAIR".
The first thing I aimed for and had the most trouble doing was making my chair functional. After many failed ideas I managed to come up with a great idea. A food storage system under the seat. In both the model and in the orthographic drawings I portrayed how the seat lifts up to reveal a hidden storage compartment. Now for this model the storage compartment isn't refrigerated so it allows you to store other items other then food, like books, board games or movies, however for ULTRACHAIR version 2.0 the storage compartment would ideally be refrigerated, which would permit cool beverages and various snacks. This chair also has another cool function, the ability to play music. On the right arm of the chair there is an embedded Ipod docking station which is connected to a speaker system near the upper potion of the head rest, promoting maximum
relaxation and comfort. Essentially the functionality of this chair is what makes this chair so interesting and appealing and how it relates to my personality.
Others would say that I have exaggerated personality however in the comfort of my solitude I find that I am a very relaxed and laid back person which essentially led to the design of my chair. The first factor that exudes my personality is the mere size of the chair. In a full scale model the chair would be 4ft wide ad 5ft tall, which me, being a tall person, would be ideal and comfortable. I also incorporated my main interests, music and food, which I feel best exudes my personality. Essentially the size, function and capabilities of this chair best exudes my personality because it portrays my interests while still comfortably fitting my body.
Besides functionality and personality representation I designed this chair to look like an art piece. I used long curvy lines to extenuate the chair and to create a sense movement throughout the piece, as well as clean edges to give the piece a finished feel. The subtle presence of geometric shapes provides a feel of order, which I need in everyday life, yet the elongated lines provide an organic feel which I feel creates a unified look to the chair. Another factor that makes this chair a piece of art is the fact that it is balanced. Although the bottom portion is very heavy I created balance by extending the back over the seat, providing a canopy feel to the chair, not only benefiting the design of the piece but the functionality as well. The fact the the main portion of
the chair is made out of 2 main circles forces the observers to travel from the top of the chair around the back to the front, providing a sense of motion and unity throughout, giving the chair a sleek and clean feel.
The last thing I would like to talk about is final presentation and the overall design process in making this chair. Before actually creating the chair out of foam core we were required to do a series of isometric and orthographic drawings showing the different and artistic views of the chair. It went through several changes before coming to the final stage, it originally had a stand that made it come up to 7ft tall. However although cool it didn't provide the feel I was looking for so I was forced to change it. To your right is the final presentation of my chair with both of the orthographic and isometric drawings of the chair as well as an overhead view of the finished model.

Hope you enjoy my chair and when production starts be sure to place in your order for color and size (adjustable to buyer).