Friday, March 4, 2011

Chalk Cropping Work

This copping (left) was the starting point for the following pieces which I created in CyberArts. With this cropping I recreated the image three times, two were paintings one large scale and one small scale as well as a true recreation done in pastel (the same medium as the cropping) but on a large scale. I chose this cropping because it had an interesting composition (DIAGONAL).

The first piece that I did was the large scale chalk pastel done on a form of newsprint. For this piece I decided to add more value in it then the original cropping. By doing this I feel as though I successfully made the piece more interesting by bringing in multiple lowlights and highlights, which not only added value, but I feel it also added mood, because the different tonal values, I feel help portray the facial expression of the subject matter I was recreating. Changing the size of the piece however, I feel these changes benefited the composition by emphasizing the diagonal composition, making it stronger.

The second re-creation of the cropping was a large scale painting. This was my favorite one because I enjoyed the large area to work with as well as the medium. I was particularly fond of this one because I feel as though I have advanced in brush stroke technique. My lines look purposeful and meaning full and the rough nature of the brush strokes, I feel best portray the expressionistic feel I was trying to show. For this re-creation I was trying to use lose and fast brush strokes to give the piece an expressionistic feel to it. For this piece I also added a large range of highlights and lowlights but I used expressive brush strokes while creating these highlights and lowlights to continue the expressionistic feel. By changing the way I added the highlights and lowlights I feel as though it changed the mood of the facial expression to that of a more concerned one. Also another of the significant changes that I made from the chalk recreation to the painting was a gap in color in the eye. I made the eye in the painting look like a more realistic eye, which I feel added to the change in facial expression of the subject matter. Lastly in the large painting I added small flicks of red pain near the mouth area, to finish off the painting by adding ( which I fee made it stronger) to the expressionistic feel of the painting. However changing in canvas size and medium made it difficult to emphasize the diagonal composition. I feel as though the added value, although adds interest, pulls the eyes attention away from the composition.

My last recreation of my initial cropping was a small paint were like the big painting, was done in acrylic paint. However I found the change in canvas size to negatively impact the end result, because I am not fond of such a small work space. I for one and more fond with a larger canvas, more room for expression as I see it.
There were several things in this painting that I changed from the large scale painting. Firstly I changed my line thickness so that all line were thin, clean and purposeful. I also tried to add more energy into this version, so I purposeful roughed up my lines (unclean) to add in that feeling of expressionism, while still being realistic. Secondly I played with the actual form of the lines to try and change the feel of my subject's facial expression, especially near the mouth ( I tried to make a smirk). Lastly, although it is almost non existent in the photograph, I added in a really light yellow in the whites of the eyes to simply change up the face so that it more closely resembles the original cropping. I feel as though the changes I made from the larger painting to this one emphasized the composition more.

These are the three pieces which I created from my small little cropping, and I am extremely happy with all three pieces. The fact that all of these were done within the first two weeks of the course, I am extremely happy with not only the quality of all three pieces but the simple fact that I created all of these within such a short time frame, I feel, portrays my level of improvement from last year.